The Society News

 Newsletter

  Regular meetings are on the second Thursday of each month
at 7:00 p.m.

At the 1939 School House/Museum

   

 Officers - 2017:

Richard Barrett  Pres.

  Deb Morrison  Sect.

Julie Rousseau  Treas.




                



 


Old Town Hall Property






Lower lot below Temperance House foundation



 Old Town Hall and Center School  lot



Temperance House Hotel Foundation


   The Old Town Hall Property once was the location of:
· Elias Hall’s store of 1795
· Joseph Bowman and Henry Penniman’s store after Elias Hall
· The Center School and hall of 1816-1860
· The first cheese factory of 1865-1880
· The second cheese factory of 1881-1885
· The Town Hall of 1893 to 1977.
The dance hall above the school, and later the first cheese factory, served as a gathering place and social center for the town.  Old Town Hall served this purpose after the old school/cheese factory-hall was gone. All use of this land ended in 1977 with the burning of the Old Town Hall. See the Center Tour tab at left for more information.



 

Current Display of Plaster Hat Molds
(dated 1862)
Found at the Old Barr House, 153 Barr Rd.
On Loan from Jane Cronin










 Display of George Briggs' Tractors
purchased by the Society




Display case in the Museum Room



Society Cafe' at the Country Fair






Friends and family celebrate a memorial dedication ceremony for Donald Adams, George Briggs, and Paul Walker

 Three benches in front of the Post Office, each with a bronze plaque, was dedicated to the memory of Don Adams, George Briggs, and Paul Walker—"men who served New Braintree and left it a better place".




State Sen.Stephen M. Brewer presented certificates to
members of
the Walker, Adams and Briggs families.



Friends and family enjoy the dedication of the benches and plaques.

Event sponsored by the New Braintree Historical Society and the
Town Parks and Recreation Department.