1939 GRADE SCHOOL/MUSEUM

The Grade School was designed by S. Haynes in the International style which was popular in 1939. Built to consolidate the town’s schools, it had two classrooms for eight grades. The Historical Society acquired the building in 1996 from the town. The Society became a non-profit, tax-exempt organization dedicated to preserving New Braintree’s historic and cultural heritage.

 The building now houses the New Braintree post office and a schoolroom/museum; with exhibits from town events, artifacts, historic materials, a virtual “Town Center Tour” and many school class pictures. It is the location for Society meetings and events. The museum is also open by appointment – call the Society at 508-867-8608 or Deb Morrison at 508-867-3324.

1939 Grade School - 2019
1939 Grade School – 2019
1939 Grade School/Museum – back of building is U.S. Post Office
Grade School Plaque



Class Room
Class room display
Museum room
Current display of plaster hat molds (dated 1862), found at the old Barr House,  153 Barr Rd.  On loan from Jane Cronin.
U. George Briggs’ tractor collection (no longer displayed)
Town history displays
Society merchandise (see Merchandise page for prices)