Hunter’s Inn marker at intersection of Worcester and Moore Roads

In 1801 this tavern/inn was called Learned’s tavern and was run by James Learned as shown on an early  “turnpike” map, where it served as a rest stop for travelers on the Northampton to Worcester turnpike.  It was later known as the Hunter’s Tavern, presumable run by Charles H. Hunter who displayed a 3 x 4 foot sign two sided sign in the New Braintree old town hall.  One side of the sign depicted and eagle with “E Pluribus Unum” and the other side a yellow coach with red wheels (note carriage wheels on marker), four white horses, driver and four passengers complete with baggage on top of coach.